It's been a few months since my last post about keeping active with my MS. Lots has happened in this time and I felt it was time for a little update. Exhaustion and the nerve pain has continued to be the biggest struggle with this disease so far. Towards the end of September, I was starting to experience weakened legs and arms. I first noticed this issue when I was attending my Strength Training Classes. I wasn't able to do as much as I normally could, halving the weight I'd usually lift.
For the weeks following, I skipped classes and just took it easy at home. I was starting to use my cane here and there until time went on and by the end of the first week of October I was using it full time. This led me to my follow up neuro appt which he had advised me to get put on another round of IV steroids (Solu Medrol). I did just a quick 3 day dose and within the following two weeks things seemed to be improving, no cane and most of my strength brought back other symptoms slowing down. I was scheduled for my 4th MRI of the year on November 2nd which went smooth. Currently waiting on the radiologists full report but so far it's looking pretty good all things considered. Some of the lesions on my brain have healed up and disappeared, which is the best news I have heard in a while.
Moving forward, we determined the current treatment I am on (which was a once a day pill known as Aubagio) isn't working for me so I have been doing the washout. This includes an orange powder (8g) which I mix into some orange juice and have 3 times a day. Following this I will do some blood work to double check it's fully out of my system and then go ahead and start a new treatment. Due to 3 relapses in less than two years, I am being approved to start a second line of therapy treatment and the two I've narrowed it down to are Tysabri (a once a month infusion) or Lemtrada (a 2 time infusion treatment).
I have chosen to go with Tysabri as plan A, I did some blood work last week to find out if I have the JC virus in my body. If this is the case, my doctor would prefer me to go straight to Lemtrada as going on Tysabri with this virus can cause some serious side effects including a brain infection.
I have a neuro appointment at the end of this week to find out all the updated info and to figure out our next plan of action. In the meantime, having no medication in my system to protect me from relapse, I am going to take it easy and not over do it to ensure I don't fall back. So for now, feel free to browse the rest of my site and I will update on this space once new information surfaces.